Thursday, April 5, 2012

hold on

Hold on there. Remember all those WIPs? Remember all my plots and plans to finish?



Let me just throw everything aside and cast on something new.



Harvest Dew socks (ravelry has the pattern and it's free) for the Knitting in Circles Podcast KAL, using my rainbowy Trekking XXL. I don't often do cuff-down socks--I like the fitting opportunities afforded by knitting toe-up. True to form, though I measured my foot and chose the appropriate size, this sucker was too big for my ankle. Okay, I figured, I can deal with that, and did decreases as in pattern as I could until I felt better. Which actually put me an entire size smaller. So much for accurate measurements! still, they fit so far, and the pattern is very easy. It's a tempting, "just one more row" sort of pattern, and the joy of it is helped along by Trekking's fantastic colors and pleasant yarn. I've already knitted something with this, but I ripped it all out because I was not satisfied. The yarn then sat in a squashy hand wrapped ball for about 6 months before I started working again. No problems. It's knititng up very nicely, with consistent stitch definition. Trekking XXL is definitely a workhorse yarn for me and I think I might pick some more up in the future. The balls are quite large enough for a pair of socks or a small shawl or half a big one. Downsides? Hmm, it's not alpaca or cashmere or merino, and the base is different so it's not quite as squooshy as something as Aslan Trends or Claudia Handpainted Fingering. Still, I can't say it isn't soft and I would be comfortable wearing it everywhere except maybe the back of my neck which is a bit delicate.

No comments:

Post a Comment