Tuesday, February 19, 2013

This month, too, has been busy in a good knitting way. But the best surprise of all is that I am working again, and I've a vastly reworked draft of a paper that has a much better chance of being published. It still has some fuzzy points but, hallelujah, it's mostly done. I still have 500 papers to read, but I am beginning to think that will never be dented.

But anyway, the main point is: knitting. And spinning. it's all happening. and it's all great.

1) first of all, I finished my spinning! I was working with this black romney x leicester blend with shots of bright green and blue in it, and I'll be honest--it was frankly terrible to spin. It's true I might've done it a bit wrong--worsted vs woolen? I haven't the faintest clue which I was doing, but maybe I should've been doing the other--but it was also full of vegetable matter, little bits of hay, tiny knots and matted bits of fur within the fiber. It was hard to prep, so while I tried to make it nice and even it and easy to draft it was sticky and challenging, but simultaneously would fall apart on a moment's notice if I didn't watch it like a hawk. I was trying to spin it thin enough to make socks, because I can't imagine this anywhere near my face, but it's so thick and thin, and especially horribly thick in the spots here and there where it broke and I had to try to reattach it.

So, having that done is a load off my chest! ... though that's only half the original fiber I purchased, so perhaps someday it will come back to visit. meh.

2) I also finished my sister socks! I haven't much taken them off since then, because it's been cold here, and they're so comfortable. They match almost exactly but due to gauge differences one is just slightly looser than the other. It's okay, I hardly notice it, and there's not a chance in any hell that I'm going to rip back again to try and fix it.

3) I immediately cast on another pair of socks in this gradual color change stuff I just picked up (I visited an LYS for their annual sale; they had nothing I liked on sale, just expensive or dramatic stuff, so I picked up a ball of the cheapest stuff there, Jojoland Melody yarn) (so much for that no-yarn-in-February thing, right? but it was only $6.50 so I feel like it's okay). I'm only to the toe, but that's okay because....

4) earlier in the month I cast on a pair of Nutkin socks. I was going to follow the pattern precisely, but after I got three inches into the cuff, I felt an overwhelming neurosis about the cables, which were not symmetric. I ripped them out and redid it. I'll also have to change the heel because they're already fairly tight and the type of heel they describe is too snug for me. But it's working up lovely in some gorgeous stash yarn from Little Red Bicycle

5) I finished the pumpkin hat! ends woven in, and gifted to the recipient--may it bring her joy. I deliberately made a vine and a thicker stem this time and I think they worked well. Doing the fiddly little leaves always makes me feel like an artisan crafter.

6) I had to rip out the first of the Manly Mitts I started for my friend, but I've since re-completed the first and am beginning the second. They're moving very quickly and will be done by the end of the month

7) I also got a chance to do some new spinning. I was so relieved to get the romney cross off the needles that I immediately went fiberstashdiving and came out with a braid from Dyeabolical Yarns in the Themyscira colorway, with firestar in it! I split it in half lengthwise and am planning to chain-ply it to keep the color change and make something with stripes--maybe fingerless mitts? It's way too soft for socks; it wouldn't hold up. The firestar is getting EVERYWHERE. Anyway, I enjoyed how soft and wonderful it was and how easy it was to prep and I've already finished spinning the first half. This weekend I'll do the plying.

8) I churned out a very quick pair of fingerless mitts for my aunt. Originally I thought the pattern had some lattice texture in it, but it turns out to be linen stitch. Still, in malabrigo rios (a worsted), they were a quick knit and turned out absolutely gorgeous. I'm not sure I want to give them away...

9) over the holidays I was gifted the Hitchhiker pattern, and I finally cast it on--using (for the very first time... drum roll please...) my own handspun! It's some lorna's laces pencil roving in blue, green, and purple. It spun up thin enough as a single, but I thought I wouldn't have enough yardage to do anything if I plied it, so I am using it as a single. It's quite thick and thin, but so far it's turning out very nice, and the larger needles (size 4 or 5, I think) means that it's squooshy and transparent.

10) I also cast on the first square of my imagined blanket, based on the Mason-Dixon ladies' cornerstone blanket. It's not completed yet but I like how it's turning out, all squishy garter stitch and warm natural wool in nice colors. The cats approve too--if I leave that project on my desk they'll sleep on it.

11) I went diving deep into my old WIPs that were unfinished and found the pair of Spatterdash that I knit last March/April/May. The pattern is a free one from Knitty, and it's somewhat fiddly (on size 1s! good god!), but absolutely, undoubtedly worth it. They've languished for a lack of buttons. I've procured buttons, so *gasp* I started sewing them on. Haven't finished them (because each mitt needs 13 and I only have 9 so I am trying to carefully position them for maximum coverage, best display of the feather and fan edge being buttoned on, and best fit), but I'm 1/3 of the way there and I'm hopeful that I'll get even further soon

12) I put two rounds into the Silver Sea. It's eternal and I'm not even close to done with the second ball yet, much less near attaching the third. I know the netting is part of what makes it look so good... but it takes FOREVER. and soon I'll have to string more beads on, and basically I'm doomed

13) Haven't touched the sweater. Too busy. Have contemplated several other sweaters, though--a sure sign I just need to sit down and do the calculations and I'll be ready to jump back on the wagon of extensive garment knitting again.

14) I've a few other WIPs that I've pulled out and looked at -- 3 pairs of mittens, 2 pairs of fingerless mitts, and some other fiddly odds and ends. But I haven't worked on them. I think the stuff I've got going on is enough for now. (even though I'm dreaming about casting on yet another pair of socks...)

No comments:

Post a Comment