Saturday, January 3, 2015

Spin it all up!

so, I've got the goal to only knit 6 items for other people in the coming year (2x socks for the twin, a gift for mom, a gift for my sister, a baby item or shop sample for friends, and a shawl for a friend).

I've got a goal to knit/finish knitting 2 sweaters for myself this year

I've got a goal to knit myself 2 shawls--a replacement for my lost Wine in Summer and a Nymphiladea.

aaand I've got a goal to try to play along with sock club and knit myself some socks (but never have more than two pairs on the needles at a time... gotta keep it healthy).

but I haven't played with my spinning yet... and there's this Spin the Bin 2015 challenge, which is to designate and then use stash, ~24 oz over the course of the year.

I am already keeping myself from buying more fiber because my stockpile is pretty big and I am a super slow spinner, relatively speaking.

I think I'll play along with the Spin the Bin thing. Which 24oz should I spin?

1) 4 oz of portugese merino from the Dyeabolical Yarns dyeing company in Thunderboom. This stuff looks totally awesome and feels incredibly bouncy and dense--I bet it'll be a really interesting spin.
2) 4 oz of Polwarth and silk blend in a batt from Into the Whirled in the starrennicht colorway
3) 5 oz fingering roving/ batt in the Tiger's Eye colorway from Loop (my first bullseye bump!)
4) 3.3 oz of silk brick in the Night Orchid colorway from Fiber Artemis (wooosh. that's gonna be crazy. 100% silk is gonna be fine as froghair)
5 and 6) 3.8 oz of 100% corriedale in the Lotus colorway by Fiber Artemis, which I want to then ply with either ~4oz of 100% solid blue corriedale, ~4oz of tonal blue lambswool from Lanitium ex Machina, or ~4oz of tonal blue Falkland with a hint of purple in it, from Fibernymph Dyeworks.


hmm, maybe I should spin all 4 of them up: the Lotus, the solid blue, the tonal blue, and the Falkland... and ply them in 2oz increments to make an interesting gradient. If I do that I can lopp off #3 and #4 from the list, which... frankly will save me some time. Both of those are gonna be tricky, skinny, time consuming spins, whereas this weird gradient idea would probably be aiming for a DK weight so I can make a gradient shawl.

mm, I love making plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment