Tuesday, April 21, 2015

hats hats hats

Hats are fun! I didn't know!

I've knitted a few, but they were not that fun.

but these two I am currently working on--FUN. FUN!

The first one is a Sockhead Hat: 4 inches of ribbing and then 9 inches of stockinette. Easier than pie. I have decided to double the ribbing so it can be folded over the ears, and I'm just about done with it (but I'm adding length because I always always seem to want more ribbing in my hats). Soon it will be stockinette in the round forever, which is by the way very soothing but also quite fast!

The second is my own design, but it's basically a dk/worsted version of the above Sockhead Hat. I cast on somewhere between 80 and 100 stitches, did ribbing for about 3 or 4 inches, and now I'm in the stockinette part. I actually had finished the top of it and I tried it on its intended recipient but he wants more slouch and I have plenty of yarn left (I used less than 3/4 of a skein of malabrigo arroyo or rios, I am not sure which). so I ripped out the crown and am back to stockinette in the round forever.

This is the one I've got pictures of:

see? not slouchy enough.


This is the type of knitting that's getting done lately, mostly because I can only squeak some knitting in before I fall asleep, while I am at stoplights, or during meetings.

other things I am working on:

-a linen-stitch-framed cowl of some sort in gorgeous hand-dyed sky blue cashmere bulky yarn that a friend gave me for my birthday ^.^

-a skinny Clapotis--I have less than half the required yarn so I've done fewer increase sections and will do fewer repeats. I always said I would never get into this trend, but the pattern shows off this gorgeous Handmaiden Casbah Sock in the Masala colorway very well, and I would definitely wear this as a scarf, so it is happening

-a new pair of socks for my twin

those are the active things. I'm also fixing stuff up:
-a pair of mittens for a friend that needs finishing. and probably another mitten, the first one was from a different ball and there's a noticeable difference in color between the two.

-a blanket that I've decided needs an edging--but the calculations are not perfect so it's in the *thinking* stage. wee ^.^

-a fiddly lace shawl that I really need to finish the edging on (meep. the beginning edge)

things I am avoiding:
-other socks for my twin
-socks for me
-another garter stitch blanket
-fixing the cat mittens
-figuring out the purple lace
-working on the unpleasant silk hankie mitts
-doing anything for two sweaters in progress

BUT. I am spinning. I borrowed the wheel from my friend for another week and I've knocked out 4.5 oz since Sunday night (so, you know, 32 hours). I am determined to spin some very lovely things but I need more hours in the week :D

No comments:

Post a Comment